Tuesday, April 21, 2009

setting goals

new on Etsy http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=23951896

I saw this on a Tweet the other day. A goal is not always meant to be reached,it often serves simply as something to aim at."Bruce Lee" This really got me to thinking. I always have goals but mine are pretty flexible. I include mental health days, my muse has left me days and weeks where nothing sells well but the week before was a great sales week. In one of the Etsy forums last week and suspect this comes topic comes up often, a new seller had set a goal to sell 100 items in her first 6 months on Etsy. Now that is a nice goal to set for yourself, much higher than I would ever set for myself but still possible. This person was new to Etsy, it was her first time in the Forum. She had never been on Twitter or any other Social Medias, had no blog and did no advertizing. She just couldn't understand why her art wasn't selling.

I think this is how many of us started at Etsy but we didn't give up in six months. We just started looking at ways to promote our shops and our artwork. If you only sit there waiting for people to find you, that rarely happens. I am constantly looking for ways to market. Heartomatic turned out to be a great way to to draw lookers to my shop. I still don't get Tweeter and think there is a lot of good information in there, I just haven't had time to read it all but I do post a few times a day, usually answers to other Tweeters and I post if I ad something to my shop or blog.

So don't quit after 6 months, just work a little bit harder. Set your goals but they are something to aim for not to live by. Of course I am sure that Donald Trump would laugh loudly at this blog but luckily he is not on my friend's list so I don't have to worry about it!

No comments: