Friday, March 12, 2010

The Sewing Expo

I was quite surprised to not see one piece of felting on exhibet.  Not even a nuno scarf to be found.  Lots of embroidery machines, images for machines etc.  The embroidery was the main theme of this show or at least it seemed that way.  The good vendors, a Button guy who sold those beautiful Checz buttons very cheaply.  He had so many I couldn't chose so I bought nothing.  Found a shop that sold machine felting needles.  They appear to be universal and expensive.  Vogue fabric was there with lots of their reduced priced batiks, silk, gadgets etc.  Only place I dropped some serious money ('$50) got to stay on that budget.

Now the classes.  This is the first time I have tried classes there and I won't waste that money again, could have afforded buttons,,grrrrr..  The first class, I paid for an infomercial about one of the vendors booths.  She showed samples and gadgets then told us to stop by her booth to buy her books that showed her patterns and techniques.

Next class was taught by a lovely lady who drew patterns, answered questions and showed many different ways to wear her easy vests and what she made them of.  You don't even need a pattern. 

Third class was a mini nightmare.  I had totally misread or understood what we were making and how we would do it.    We were attempting to make collaged totes and no one in the class finished.  Only one teacher, 20 students and everyone needing help the entire time.  She needed several helpers.  I knew I was in trouble when she said me down at one of the nicest embroidery machines I have ever seen.  I have never tried an embroidery machine and after cussing at it alot, the nice women next to me got tired of my whining so they help me A LOT.  Then I got to use a serger.  What a complicated piece of junk that was.  Nope I never will need one of those.  So I stayed the entire class, got about 20% of the piece done but that was ok, I didn't really like the purse anyway but it gave me a new found respect for Etsiers who do make them and sell them at good prices.  I don't see how they make any money.

So I have completed this experiment.  Go to the show floor and buy next year, don't waste money on the classes.  Oh I did get into the last spot in the Nuno class in April, yeah!

No comments: