Monday, October 25, 2010

SAFF in 4 posts

On Thursday I drove up to Saluda, NC to an 1800's cabin I had rented. Talk about personality, I fell in love with this small place. The logs were put together with wooden pegs and the mud chinking had been replace with cement. The front porch was tiny, perfect for one or two people. After I unpacked, I sat outside and water colored. Guess what? I can't water color in the mountains any better than I do in town. Still it was fun and very quiet. No birds at all. I found out why though. While looking up at the trees I saw a huge bird that turned out to be a bald eagle and it had a nest very close by. It did seem strange to not hear birds though.
Inside the cabin, the small living room was perfect. There was a wood burning stove which was hard to light but when it finally did, it put off lots of heat. The kitchen had all modern appliances. The back door led to a fenced in back yard for dogs and rocking chairs for people. I really missed my dogs so next time at least one of them will be with me.
The bathroom was a real trip. It slanted back from the house at such a degree, you could slide down to the toilet. You felt like you needed to pull yourself off the toilet but the sink was help up by wooden wedges so it would land in your lap if you pulled hard enough. Taking a shower was fine but a bath would soak your feet while leaving your butt dry.
There was a loft upstairs but the steps were very steep and slippery so I slept on the sofa down stairs. Figured I would kill myself if I tried to come down in the middle of the night to slide into the bath room. Quite an adventure. More tomorrow.

2 comments:

Becky Garrison said...

Libby, sounds like quite a fun, but adventurous weekend! Can't wait to read more! Oh, and I tagged you in one of my photos from Saturday at the Country Living Fair. I got yelled at for taking it, but it was worth it!

Becky Garrison said...

Ooops! Tagged you in a photo on facebook. Duh!